So before Christmas the Roolets and I where making a few things using Air Dry Clay, to be fair the pack had been open for ages (years in fact!) and the less clay that was in the pack, the less workable it became so I decided it was a good idea to try and create some flowers using Decembers Monthly Make.
First up you need some Air dry Clay, I like the DAS stuff it is child friendly and lasts ages and a clean flat surface to work on. I like to put some greaseproof/baking paper down to work on as all oc my cutting mats no matter how much I clean them are still messy and the clay will pick up any imperfections.
Roll out your clay until it is about 0.5cms thick (I used the Roolets playdoh rolling pins!) and larger than the stamp you want to stamp into it.
Ink up your stamp I used an Archival Ink pad, this does two things, it stamps your image into the clay, but it also protects your stamp as the clay will suck the moisture out of your stamps so if there is ink there instead it will remove the moisture from that instead. Press your stamp firmly into your clay, being careful note to got through the whole of the clay, but deep enough to leave a good debossed image.
(check out that concentration!)
Once you have stamped your image roughly cut around your flower, then use a pair of scissors to cut it neater. Once you are happy with your cut our flower dip your fingers into some clean water and smooth the cut edges of the flower.
Then leave to dry, I shaped my flowers then used a cork board and round drawing pins to support it whilst drying.
As you can see the Roolets really enjoyed making them.
The clay will turn white as it dries.
Once your clay flowers and leaves are dry I added peacock feathers Distress Oxide to my flowers and fossilized amber Oxide to the the leaves from the centre out.
I then added some sliver gilding wax from the points of the petals/leaves towards the centre.
Next I took a sharp pencil and drew in the lines.
I found some magnetic tape and cut it to fit the backs of the flowers and leaves and stuck this on using a strong adhesive glue.
When the glue was dry the flowers didn't look quite finished - I found some gems and glued these into place on the flower.