Thursday, 12 September 2013


September sees the start of my biggest run on birthdays, each card being equally as important as the last!

This card was made for my Mother-in-Law it was her birthday last week but I wanted to make sure it had arrived before I popped it on here as I didn't want to spoil the surprise!

To make this card:

I started by cutting a piece of cream card 2cm smaller than an A5 card. I stamped a stack of hats in the left corner, then next to them I stamped Mildred. I then added the Fairy Wings.

Next I created a mask for the piece of card that left a torn boarder. Around the edge I stamped a script stamp and removed the mask. I then distressed the whole piece of card lightly then re-added the mask to add the darker distressing. To colour in the hats I used Distress Inks and a water brush and for Mildred I used a mask and Distress Ink.

Onto spare cream card I stamped Mildred again, over stamped her with a script stamp and cut out her body. This was then lightly distressed and covered in UTEE. (I try to remove as much UTEE as possible before heating to give a crackled effect!) then I distressed it again using blue Distress Ink to fill in the gaps in the UTEE. 

Onto more spare cream card I stamped the Baby Butterfly and cut out the wings.

Next I took some parcel string  and coloured it to match the card by "splodging" Distress Inks onto a glass mat, spritzing it, then pressing the string into the colour until I was happy with it, I then used my heat gun and kitchen roll to dry it off.

Whilst the string was drying (it took ages, think I got carried away!) I worked on the base card. To do this I made a 14.5cm square cream card and scored the front again at 7cm to create the easel. Onto the 7cm flap I stamped the script stamp around the edge and I also stamped it in the inside of the card. Both the inside and the 7cm flap were distressed. Across the bottom of the inside of the base card I added the Steampunk edge from Tim Holtz which I had coloured using Distress Stains and then covered in UTEE. Just above this I added some paper ribbon, fabric tape and finally the sentiment.

To make up the card I wrapped the string around the base of the stamped images, added Mildred's body, baby butterfly and some die cut leaves and flowers (Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers and leaves). This was then matted onto a piece of kraft card which I had added Frantage embossing powder around the edge and then attached to the card. Once everything was attached to the card I added Crackle Paint to the Butterfly's wings.

I am really pleased with how this card turned out it took a little longer than planned but I think it was worth it. 

The stamps I used for this project are:

If you like our stamps why not go and check them out on our website  

No comments:

Post a Comment